Google
 
Web sysopsrealm.blogspot.com

May 23, 2006

Water Tasting...

When I was in college, I spent 1 term in a class that dealt entirely with bottled water. How it is marketed, how the need is created, how there are less stringent health standards for bottled water than for tap water. I did research, interviews, more research & finally compiled it all into a final paper that to this day I consider my greatest collegiate accomplishment. So, that all said, I present to you a water tasting even in Berkley Springs.

There are many arguments to something like this. Many people swear by the bottled water that they drink. They say they can tell the difference between different brands of water. We conducted these same experiments in class and found that most people can't tell the difference between brands of water. I'm sure you can point me to studies that prove the opposite.

I'll give you a brief overview of how they judge the water.
Appearance 0 - 5 with 5 being the best.
Odor 0 - 5 with 5 being the best (along with characterizations, ie chlorine, plastic, sulfur, chemical, musty)
Flavor 0 - 10 with 10 being the best & the same descriptive words + salty
Mouthfeel 0 -5 with 5 being the best.
Aftertaste 0 - 5 with 5 being the best.

Finally, there's Overall Impression. That consists of a 14 point scale. And it's Very, Very, descriptive. The article is a very easy read, and it's hard to take it seriously even though everyone in the story takes the whole event seriously. (Link - Oxford American [thanks boingboing.net])

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home